I graduated as a Developing Doulas doula in 2017 . This means that I have completed the course with Developing Doulas and my post course work. I am now going to enter the Doula UK mentoring and recognition process, which will see me working with the support and guidance of an experienced doula. The aim of this process is to aid me in my progression towards being the best doula I can be.
As a doula my role is not to tell you what decisions to make but to support you in understanding the options available to you on your journey, enabling you to discover the path that is right for you and support you in building the skills you need.
My goal is to nurture parents and families through the transition to parenthood and empower them to be responsive to each other, and confident in their choices.
There is evidence to show that having a doula can mean:
- Reduced risk of Caesarean birth † *.
- Reduced risk of instrumental birth † *.
- Reduced need for painkillers or epidural during birth † *.
- Reduced rate of induction of labour † *.
- Shorter labour †.
- Increased parental satisfaction with the birth experience. †
- Increased likelihood of initiating breastfeeding *.
- Increased likelihood of successfully establishing breastfeeding & breastfeeding at 6 weeks *.
* Brigstocke S. MIDIRS Midwifery Digest, vol 24, no 2, 2014, pp 157-160
† Hodnett ED, Gates S, Hofmeyr G, Sakala C. Continuous support for women during childbirth. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2013, Issue 7. Art. No.: CD003766. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD003766.pub5